September 5's Armed Rebellion

At dawn on September 5, 1957, the revolutionary officers of the Navy commands and July 26 Movement attacked the Southern Naval District, in Cienfuegos, arrested the head of the base and other supporters of the Batista dictatorship and occupied the military installation.

The head of the revolutionary officers, Lt. San Román, harangued the sailors and told them of the need to join the revolutionary movement led by Fidel Castro to overthrow the bloody dictatorship that plagued the country. The vast majority of the lining of the District joined the uprising.

Soon after, the militants began to arm the M-26-7 who attended and formed mixed platoons of sailors and civilians.

September 5's Armed Rebellion

They quickly attack the main bastions of tyranny in the city. The Marine Police was captured by the revolutionaries without firing a shot. The National Police Station made some resistance, but also was taken. The captured weapons were distributed among the population and organized instructors group's to teach them how to use it.

In the early hours of the morning, the rebels and the people almost owned of the whole city. Right away they took the stations of the Maritime Police, the National Police, the City Hall and other important locations.

Although they failed to take the Rural Guard barracks, the soldiers were locked in there and the town was in rebel hands for 24 hours. Then the tyranny sent his troops to Cienfuegos that indiscriminately strafed and bombed neighborhoods, and left dozens of dead, wounded and maimed among the population.

The most significant of this fact was precisely that the people took to the streets against the dictatorship. Although internally this action was a setback for the movement in Cienfuegos, which was almost neutralized since them. In general represented a victory for the struggle, for his tremendous national impact and the fact that for hours, was a free territory , the first of the Revolution in the country.

The weapons seized were immediately distributed among the population that arrived in Cienfuegos place to join the uprising. Members of the Marine Police is not incorporated, including the chief, commander Luis Seijas Batet, were taken to Key in the truck of the District.

As soon as people realized what was happening to the streets and calls for weapons to fight the dictatorship, which are quickly depleted.

The rebels occupied important buildings adjacent to the Parque Jose Marti, where the main activities take place that day, the revolutionaries could not reach the barracks of the Guardia Rural, located on the outskirts of the city, ruling the surprise factor, but however, the city is occupied and is in the hands of fighters July 26 Movement and sailors against the Batista dictatorship.

By not supporting the movement produced in Havana, for the postponement conspirators agreed by officers in the capital city of Cienfuegos uprising was isolated and this allowed the forces of dictatorship from different provinces to move forces to repress the people.